Tuesday 18 June 2013

Forthcoming books this year



Due to lack of money/time/shelf space (although I do buy most books on a Kindle I still buy some physical copies) I haven’t been reading quite as much as I’d like to. However, there are some very good fantasy books pencilled-in for release later this year. Here are a few that caught my eye.

Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch

This book has been delayed a lot due to some personal issues for the author. His first book, The Lies of Locke Lamora, is amongst the best I’ve ever read (and that with a slightly slow start). Republic of Thieves continues the adventures of Locke and Jean, and I’m hopeful it’ll be just as spellbindingly fantastic as Mr. Lynch’s first two books.

Sworn in Steel by Douglas Hulick

This would be the second of Mr. Hulick’s books, following on from Among Thieves. To a lesser extent than Republic of Thieves its release date has also been pushed back a bit, but thanks to in-depth sleuthing [I read it on the Chrons forum] I’m quite hopeful this’ll be out in 2013. It’ll be interesting to see how Drothe’s criminal career has progressed since the last book.

Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson

This is the second part of the Stormlight Archives (Way ofKings being the first) and will probably be just as enormous. Way of Kings was the first Sanderson book I read, and I loved the immersive world-building and mythological past. The interludes, I felt, were a bit hit and miss, but they were only a minor part of a very large book.

A Game of Battleships by Toby Frost

Ok, not fantasy, but sci-fi. Moustachioed hero of the British Space Empire, Space Captain Smith returns in his fourth adventure. Armed with a crew of misfits and lunatics, a slightly rickety spacecraft and some tea, Isambard Smith must chase down a mysterious vessel that destroyed the convoy he was meant to be guarding. The very fate of the British Space Empire hangs in the balance, and Smith will find himself visiting hellish, strange realms where nothing makes sense - such as France.

[Incidentally, a second interview with Toby Frost will be appearing on this blog around mid-July. So, stay tuned!]

The first interview with Mr. Frost is here.

Hornska by Thaddeus White

I’m hoping that the short comedy (20-40,000 words) I’m writing will be done in time for Christmas. Still no title (Hornska, The Hero of Hornska and Sir Edric and the Unholy Temple currently in mind) though. When the King’s royal seals are stolen he dispatches Sir Edric on a mission that could optimistically be described as suicidal. Accompanied by his pathologically loyal manservant Dog, the prudish elven sorceress Lysandra, and a man called Colin, Sir Edric must travel to the Unholy Temple of Despair and Certain Doom to take them back.

Thaddeus



2 comments:

  1. Ah spit! A Game of Battleships is not available on Kindle. Though it looks like the series is a Flashman knock-off I thought it might be fun, but, like yours, my bookshelves are over-flowing, and Herself is still sticking to her "one in means one out" policy for proper books.

    As for your comedy, to which I am greatly looking forward, surely the title must be about the man not the place - especially if you are thinking of a series (as I hope you are). "Sir Edric goes forth" or perhaps "Sir Edric's Temple" has got to be more appealing than "Hornska"

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason this comment was marked as spam, hence the delay in its publication.

    Yeah, I think "Sir Edric does/goes X" may be the better way to go. Sir Edric's Temple could work [I like 'Go Forth' as well but that could be used for almost any book].

    ReplyDelete